Scripties UMCG - Rijksuniversiteit Groningen
 
English | Nederlands

Lumbosacraal Radiculair Syndroom in de eerste lijn; tien jaar follow-up.

(2010) Visser, M.

Background. A lumbosacral radicular syndrome (LRS) is an acute problem, often with a prolonged course. To gain insight into the consultation of patients with LRS at primary care, there is an ongoing short-term follow-up database-study. This study describes the course in the longer term, focusing on the care of patients with LRS consumption during an average period of 10 years.
Methods. A cohort of 576 patients suffering from new complaints of LRS in 1998 or 1999 was selected from the database of the Registration Network Groningen (RNG). Data from these patients were supplemented with information from case studies in 3 general practices. 390 patients were included for further analysis and were followed until December 2008. From these patients, data were analyzed for the number of contacts with the GP, history and prognosis, medication prescribed, referrals and operations because of a LRS. Incidence and prevalence rates were calculated for the population in the RNG database, during the period 1998-2008.
Results. The incidence of LRS was 9.4 per 1000 person years, the prevalence was 17.2 per 1000 person years. Prior to a LRS 46% of the patients had back pain, 43% of the patients suffered from back pain after an episode LRS. Throughout the study period, patients consulted their GP on average 3.4 times because of a LRS. Almost 40% of the patients consulted their GP only once. After 10 years, the likelihood that patients visited their GP because of an LRS was approximately 2%. Patients with a history of back pain and undergoing surgery due to an LRS, had significantly longer contact with their GP.
Throughout the study period 64% of the patients received a prescription for medication, especially NSAIDs. Almost 53% of the patients were referred, mostly to the physiotherapist and/or neurologist. Throughout the study period 8.7% of the patients were operated because of a LRS.
Conclusion. The health care consumption of approximately 40% of patients with LRS consisted of a single contact with the GP. The remaining 60% had more contacts with their GP because of a LRS. Over 10 years follow-up patients with LRS are visiting their GP on average 3.4 times. Men have fewer contacts with their GP than women, but they are equally referred and even more operated.
Most contacts take place within one year after diagnosing LRS. The likelihood of contact with the GP after 10 years follow-up is approximately 2%. Patients with a history of back pain and surgical patients have significantly more contacts with their GP compared with patients without a history of back pain or surgery.





Gebruik a.u.b. deze link om te verwijzen naar dit document:
http://irs.ub.rug.nl/dbi/4c7392aa83099

ID 832
Moeder ID 696
Volgorde Visser, M.
Naam VisserM.
Publiceren yes
OAI-naam Student_thesis
Path root/geneeskunde/2010/VisserM./
Gemaakt op: 2010-08-24 09:36:42
Gemodificeerd op: 2010-08-24 09:36:42
Digitaal ID 4c7392aa83099
Afstudeerrichting opleiding/afstudeerrichting 1
Studierichting Studierichting 1
Titel Lumbosacraal Radiculair Syndroom in de eerste lijn; tien jaar follow-up.
Ruilverkeer mogelijk no
Printen in opdracht no
Aantal pagina's 55
Publicatiejaar 2010
Taal nl
Engelse samenvatting Background. A lumbosacral radicular syndrome (LRS) is an acute problem, often with a prolonged course. To gain insight into the consultation of patients with LRS at primary care, there is an ongoing short-term follow-up database-study. This study describes the course in the longer term, focusing on the care of patients with LRS consumption during an average period of 10 years.
Methods. A cohort of 576 patients suffering from new complaints of LRS in 1998 or 1999 was selected from the database of the Registration Network Groningen (RNG). Data from these patients were supplemented with information from case studies in 3 general practices. 390 patients were included for further analysis and were followed until December 2008. From these patients, data were analyzed for the number of contacts with the GP, history and prognosis, medication prescribed, referrals and operations because of a LRS. Incidence and prevalence rates were calculated for the population in the RNG database, during the period 1998-2008.
Results. The incidence of LRS was 9.4 per 1000 person years, the prevalence was 17.2 per 1000 person years. Prior to a LRS 46% of the patients had back pain, 43% of the patients suffered from back pain after an episode LRS. Throughout the study period, patients consulted their GP on average 3.4 times because of a LRS. Almost 40% of the patients consulted their GP only once. After 10 years, the likelihood that patients visited their GP because of an LRS was approximately 2%. Patients with a history of back pain and undergoing surgery due to an LRS, had significantly longer contact with their GP.
Throughout the study period 64% of the patients received a prescription for medication, especially NSAIDs. Almost 53% of the patients were referred, mostly to the physiotherapist and/or neurologist. Throughout the study period 8.7% of the patients were operated because of a LRS.
Conclusion. The health care consumption of approximately 40% of patients with LRS consisted of a single contact with the GP. The remaining 60% had more contacts with their GP because of a LRS. Over 10 years follow-up patients with LRS are visiting their GP on average 3.4 times. Men have fewer contacts with their GP than women, but they are equally referred and even more operated.
Most contacts take place within one year after diagnosing LRS. The likelihood of contact with the GP after 10 years follow-up is approximately 2%. Patients with a history of back pain and surgical patients have significantly more contacts with their GP compared with patients without a history of back pain or surgery.
Nederlandse samenvatting Achtergrond. Een lumbosacraal radiculair syndroom (LRS) is een acuut probleem, maar vaak met een langdurig beloop. Om inzicht te krijgen in het huisgeneeskundig handelen bij patiënten met een LRS, loopt er binnen de afdeling Huisartsgeneeskunde Groningen momenteel een databasestudie met een korte follow-up. Dit onderzoek beschrijft het beloop op de langere termijn, gericht op de zorgconsumptie van patiënten met een LRS gedurende een periode van gemiddeld 10 jaar.
Methoden. Uit de database van het Registratie Netwerk Groningen (RNG) zijn 576 patiënten geselecteerd die in 1998 of 1999 voor het eerst contact hadden met de huisarts wegens een LRS. Gegevens van deze patiënten werden aangevuld met gegevens uit dossieronderzoek bij 3 huisartsengroepspraktijken. 390 patiënten bleven over voor verdere analyse en werden gevolgd tot en met december 2008. Van deze patiënten werden gegevens geanalyseerd betreffende het aantal contacten met de huisarts, beloop, voorgeschreven medicatie, verwijzingen en operaties wegens een LRS. Tevens werden incidentie- en prevalentiecijfers berekend over de populatie binnen de RNG-database, gedurende de periode 1998-2008.
Resultaten. De incidentie van een LRS was 9,4 per 1000 persoonsjaren, de prevalentie was 17,2 per 1000 persoonsjaren. Voorafgaand aan een LRS had 46% van de patiënten rugklachten, 43% van de patiënten maakte na een LRS een episode met rugklachten door. Gedurende de gehele studieperiode hadden patiënten gemiddeld 3,4 contacten met de huisarts wegens een LRS. Bijna 40% van de patiënten consulteerden de huisarts eenmalig. De kans dat patiënten na 10 jaar nog contact hadden met de huisarts wegens een LRS was ongeveer 2%. Patiënten met rugklachten in de voorgeschiedenis en een operatie wegens een LRS, hadden significant langer contact met de huisarts.
Gedurende de gehele studieperiode kreeg 64% van de patiënten medicatie voorgeschreven, voornamelijk NSAIDs. Ongeveer 53% van de patiënten werd één of meerdere keren verwezen, voornamelijk naar de fysiotherapeut en/of de neuroloog. Gedurende de gehele studieperiode werd uiteindelijk 8,7% van de patiënten geopereerd wegens een LRS.
Conclusie. De zorgconsumptie van ongeveer 40% van de patiënten met een LRS bestond uit een eenmalig contact met de huisarts. De overige 60% had meerdere contactmomenten wegens een LRS. Patiënten met een LRS brengen gedurende 10 jaar follow-up gemiddeld 3,4 bezoeken aan de huisarts. Mannen hebben minder contactmomenten met de huisarts dan vrouwen, zij worden echter evenveel verwezen en zelfs vaker geopereerd.
De meeste contacten vinden plaats binnen een jaar na het stellen van de diagnose LRS. De kans op contact met de huisarts na 10 jaar follow-up is ongeveer 2%. Patiënten met een voorgeschiedenis met rugklachten en geopereerde patiënten hebben significant langer contact met de huisarts vergeleken met patiënten zonder voorgeschiedenis of operatie.
Onderwijsinstelling Medical Sciences
Type embargo abstract openbaar, scriptie op aanvraag
Auteur(s) Visser, M.
UMCG begeleider(s) Meer, Prof. dr. K. van der; Winters, Dr. J.C.; Groenhof, Mw. F.
Auteur(s) Visser, M.
UMCG begeleider(s) Meer, Prof. dr. K. van der; Winters, Dr. J.C.; Groenhof, Mw. F.


 
To top